Thursday, September 25, 2014

Thursday music: Randy Scouse Git

The song randomly selected for today is a very catchy one that I have gotten stuck in my head many, many times.  It is a song by The Monkees called "Randy Scouse Git" written in 1967.  Prior to today, I had absolutely no idea what this song was about.  I managed to learn all of the lyrics just from listening to it a million times, but the lyrics never made any sense to me.  I wasn't sure if they were supposed to make sense or if it was meant to be nonsensical.

After an Internet search, it sounds as if it's a sort inside joke.  In the UK, its title is "Alternate Title" as the original title is, I guess, somewhat offense in the British dialect.  Micky Dolenz, the writer of the song, says that to the British, it translates to "horny Liverpudlian putz."  :b  Well, here in America, the original title remains which is all well because I never understood what it meant anyway.  I had heard the word "git" used before as an insult,but didn't know exactly what it meant.

(More details on the song here.)

The song is rather obnoxious, but it really works for this song.  It's calm one moment and hectic the next.  I love the use of drums, and the melody is just so fun to sing.  Even after reading the meaning of the lyrics, it still rather nonsensical to me, but there's absolutely nothing wrong that.  :)


Always worth a listen!




Lyrics

She's a wonderful lady, and she's mine, all mine,
And there doesn't seem a way that she won't come and lose my mind.
It's too easy humming songs to a girl in yellow dress.
It's been a long time since the party, and the room is in a mess.

The four kings of E.M.I. are sitting stately on the floor.
There are birds out on the sidewalk and a valet at the door.
He reminds me of a penguin with few and plastered hair.
There's talcum powder on the letter, and the birthday boy is there.

Why don't you cut your hair?
Why don't you live up there?
Why don't you do what I do,
See what I feel when I care?

Now they've darkened all the windows, and the seats are naugh-a-hyde.
I've been waiting for an hour.  I can't find a place to hide.
The being known as Wonder Girl is speaking, I believe.
It's not easy tryin' to tell her that I shortly have to leave.

Why don't you be like me?
Why don't you stop and see?
Why don't you hate who I hate,
Kill who I kill to be free?




Why don't you cut your hair?
Why don't you live up there?
Why don't you do what I do,
See what I feel when I care?

She's a wonderful lady, and she's mine, all mine,
And there doesn't seem a way that she won't come and lose my mind.
It's too easy humming songs to a girl in yellow dress.
It's been a long time since the party, and the room is in a mess.






Why don't you be like me?
Why don't you stop and see?
Why don't you hate who I hate,
Kill who I kill to be free?