Thursday, September 18, 2014

Thursday music: 桜・吹雪 / Sakura・Fubuki

Well, I wasn't able to go out to eat today, so today will be a music day!

The randomly selected song for today is one from the live-action version of Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon, often just called Pretty Guardian Sailormoon (though the new anime is also translated as Pretty Guardian instead of the original Pretty Soldier, so it's going to be confusing in the future...).  I've been a huge Sailormoon fan for over a decade now, and so when the live-action version came out, I of course had to watch every episode!  I actually really enjoy PGSM, and one of the reasons is because there are some great songs in it.

The song I'm featuring today is called "Sakura・Fubuki" which translates to "Cherry Blossom・Storm."  It is sung by Kitagawa Keiko who plays Hino Rei / Sailormars in the show.  While she is nowhere near a superstar, she is certainly the most famous and most successful of all of the other main actors on the show, and she definitely deserves it, too.  She is actually very talented and incredibly beautiful.


They really don't come much prettier than her.

I can't say that she's a great singer.  She's not bad, good enough for these image songs, but she could never make a career out of it.  That said, I love this song a lot.  The lyrics are thought-provoking, beautiful, and heartbreaking.  I was quite shocked the first time I heard it in the show because there's a line in the chorus that basically translates to "there is no God," which even for a kids' show in Japan is unusual.  It would certainly never fly in a U.S. show for kids!  But she says it in this song, multiple times, in fact.


The description says it's live, but I think it's actually lip-synced.  It's a duet in this version sung by Keiko and Mizuno Ami / Sailormercury actor Izumi Rika.









Romaji lyrics

hin’yari hanabira wo nigirishimeteru
eien ga tsudzuku you na kumo no kirema
mieta ki ga shita no

futatsu no yume
fureru yubisaki
namida mau haru no hi
riyuu nanka mitsukaranai
sugu tachidomaru
tsuyoku nareru no?
itsuka wa

zutto sagasu shiroi tenshi no sugata
kitto futte kuru
atarashii watashi kureru hane

kazahana tsuretette maboroshi no EDEN made
koko de nara sukoshi dake wa
sunao ni nareru ka mo ne

kamisama nante inai
dakedo dareka shinjitai
ima wa mada otona ni naritakunai
sakura fubuki hisoka ni

murasaki RAIRAKKU kaoru koro ni wa
tooi yuki no kioku wa
massara ni sarasara nagareteku

zutto ou wa
kono fukai mori no mukou
kitto matte iru
issho ni aruite kureru hito

toori ame yo yande
yozora ga mite mitai no
koko de nara toki ga tomaru
shoujo no mama de itai

kamisama nante inai
dakedo nanika shinjitai
sonna koto omou
oborodzukiyo
sakura fubuki toketeku

kamisama nante inai
dakedo dareka shinjitai
ima wa mada toki wo tomete
otona ni narenai kara

kamisama nante inai
dakedo nanika shinjitai
sonna koto omou
oborodzukiyo
sakura fubuki toketeku


English translation (this is my own translation, so please forgive any errors)

Grasping the cool flower petals tightly, I felt like I saw eternity going on in the break in the clouds.

Two dreams touching fingertips.
Tears dance on a spring day.
I don't know why they suddenly stop.
Someday, can I become strong?

I will always search for the form of a white angel.
Surely, one has been descending to give me new wings.

A flurry of snow in a clear sky is leading me to the illusory Garden of Eden.
As long as I'm here, I might be able to become a little more honest, right?

Things like God don't exist, but I want to believe in someone.
Even now, I don't want to grow up.
A cherry blossom story is secretly...

Distant memories of snow are rustling, straying into my memories of that time I smelled the fragrant purple lilacs, creating new memories.

I will always pursue those memories beyond this deep forest.
Surely, a man who will walk with me is waiting on the other side.

Stop, passing rain.
I want to try to see the night sky.
As long as I'm here, time will stop.
I want to remain a young girl.

Things like God don't exist, but I want to believe in something
That is what I think.
A cherry blossom storm is dissolving on a misty moonlight night.

Things like God don't exist, but I want to believe in someone.
Now, time is still stopped because I can't grow up.

Things like God don't exist, but I want to believe in someone.
That is what I think.
A cherry blossom storm is dissolving on a misty moonlight night.

No comments:

Post a Comment