Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thursday music: Haunted

Calling me, killing me; I can feel you pull me down.  Saving me, raping me, watching me...

Continuing in the spirit of Halloween, Haunted by Evanescence is eerie and beautiful.  Haunting probably is the best way to describe it with its ethereal background vocals and ghostly melody.  Amy Lee's voice is certainly beautiful, especially on those low notes.  When I listen to this song, I sometimes feel like something really has a hold on me, something not human.

It's definitely a dark song, but it's not too obviously so.  It takes some introspection to understand the true meaning of the song.


There are two different versions of the song.  Each has the same lyrics except for one part.  The main difference between the two is the beginning (one starts with a ghostly rendition of the melody, the other starts with heart rate monitor sounds followed by a guitar solo) and the final chorus (one has Amy Lee singing the chorus, the other has Amy Lee vocalizing while a choir sings the chorus).  This version is the main version, I think, the one without the heart rate monitor.  I like both for different reasons.  I don't know if I could choose just one.



Lyrics

Long lost words whisper slowly to me.
Still can't find what keeps me here
When all this time I've been so hollow inside.
I know you're still there.

Watching me, wanting me;
I can feel you pull me down.
Fearing you, loving you;
I won't let you pull me down.

Hunting you, I can smell you - alive,
Your heart pounding in my head.

Watching me, wanting me; (alt: Calling me, killing me;)
I can feel you pull me down.
Saving me, raping me, watching me...

Watching me, wanting me;
I can feel you pull me down.
Fearing you, loving you;
I won't let you pull me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment