Monday, November 3, 2014

Monday writing: NaNoWriMo status

Today is day three of the novel writing madness, and I'm already tired.  :b  I haven't met today's target word count yet, but I'm realizing that I made the mistake of not planning enough.  Normally before I write a novel, I plan it quite thoroughly using the snowflake method (discussed in this post).  I didn't do that this time because I had planned until just last week to continue my novel I had worked on the past two years.  Starting a new novel was kind of a last-minute decision, so I didn't plan it as much as I should've.

I realize now that this is definitely going to be a very rough draft, and that's okay.  What I like about NaNoWriMo is that it forces me to write something even if it's really crappy.  As long as I get the basic story down, I can work on wording and plot holes later.  The hardest part really is just getting the entire story written, and for something like NaNoWriMo, one cannot use "writer's block" as an excuse for winning.  Skip ahead to a part that you do want to write or write a completely unneeded scene that helps you develop your character.  Just write something!  If you write nothing, you will lose, and I have never lost yet!  With that in mind, I am fully prepared for this draft to turn out terrible, but it'll be just fine.

I also think I'll be learning a lot about the plot as I write it.  Usually, I plan the plot points first, but I think this is going to be one of those times where they just kind of happen.  Again, I can fix everything later, so I'm just going to let it go.

I haven't even come up with a title for this novel yet.  Hmm.  I might need a title generator for that.  There are a bunch out there, but here's one that I like: http://writingexercises.co.uk/story-title-generator.php.  When I get ready to actually come up with a title, I'll play around with some and see what I can come up with.

And now, time to meet today's quota.  D:

No comments:

Post a Comment