Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thursday music: Celestial Soda Pop

NaNoWriMo has been killing me!  D:  As it always does, haha.  Music is actually great for writing.  It's relaxing and can even give you inspiration when you're not sure what to do next.  Or, you can just take a one or two minute break and just soak it in.  I usually write in silence, to be honest, but every so often, I'll decide turn on some music.

When it comes to writing while listening to music, I find that the music needs to be instrumental.  Otherwise, I end up singing along which is only distracting!  I can't sing words while trying to write completely different words at the same time.  It just doesn't work!

I really like New Age music for writing.  It's so interesting and beautiful, just really gets my mind going and thinking.  One of my favorite New Age artists is Ray Lynch.  At least, I think it's New Age.  I've heard his music described that way, but I don't know for sure.  I'm not an expert on New Age music, but it certainly sounds like it to me.  The first song I ever heard by Ray Lynch is probably his most famous: Celestial Soda Pop from his 1984 album Deep Breakfast.  It's a strange title, but it fits the mood and sound of the song really well.  It has an ethereal quality to it, but the melody is upbeat and "poppy."  It's easily the type of song you could listen to over and over again, and yes, it gets you thinking.  Story upon story plays in my head when I listen to this song.


There is also a remix of this song which is quite enjoyable, but the original is definitely the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment