Monday, December 1, 2014

Monday writing: NaNoWriMo winner!

Yes, last night, I finished the fifty thousand word challenge that is NaNoWriMo.  I wish I could say that it was fun, but it was not, haha.  Really, NaNo is a huge pain, and the really joy comes from being finished and knowing that you're that much closer to your goal of getting published.

I did not finish my novel in just 50k words, but I have decided to not finish this draft.  The reason is that when I was over halfway done with challenge, I realized that my premise just wasn't a strong one, and I had thought of a better one.  However, I was too far along to start over, so I decided to continue the draft as it was, knowing that I could still use whatever I wrote in the new draft.  Now that the challenge is finished, I will start on the next draft instead of finishing this one.  There is simply no point in finishing a draft that is founded on a bad premise.  I expect the next draft to feature a very different main character from the one I have now.

I won't say anymore than that as I don't want to bore anyone, but the bottom line is that in order to win NaNoWriMo, you have to recognize that you can't spend your time editing and starting over.  Even when I realized that this draft was already going to have to be scrapped, I did not give up on it.  I was still determined to win, determined to finish what I had started.  NaNo is great in that it forces you write something, but you are going to participate, you have to get in the mind-set that whatever you write will probably not be great and may even have to be scrapped as in my case.  That should not be used as an excuse to give up.  You'll end up never winning if you give up that easily, if you're only going to write if it's perfect.

It's only one month, one month that you have to focus.  You can slack off the rest of the year if you want, but for that one month, give it your best shot and don't worry if it sounds good or not.  Take it from someone who just wrote the crappiest draft she's ever written.  I honestly did want to give up.  It started to not be fun for me.  I continued because I don't want to be a quitter.  If I quit, I may never finish any of my novels.  I may not participate in NaNo every year, but I have promised myself that the years I do participate, I will win.  I always win NaNoWriMo.

It's so great to not have to work on my novel tonight, haha.  What a relief!  More time for blogging now!  :b

No comments:

Post a Comment