Monday, January 12, 2015

Monday teaching: Dream on!

So, today was the first day of my new class (low advanced writing), and let me just say that it really didn't go that well.  D:  I was pretty unhappy with it.  First of all, I had to change everything about an hour before because I was informed only about an hour before that I would have to administer a vocabulary test on Wednesday.  I had to move everything around to accommodate that which meant I had to bump up a diagnostic assignment to today.

I was very stressed!  D:

I hope my students will be forgiving.  I didn't have as much time as I needed to explain and administer the diagnostic assignment today very well.  Thankfully, it doesn't count toward their grades, and in fact, they weren't really supposed to do well on it.  If they did, it meant that they probably needed to be in a higher level.  Still, they seemed so confused, especially since it was a difficult task to complete in only twenty minutes.  I felt pretty bad!

I incorporated the phrase "dream on" into the lesson.  I thought it would be a fun way to tell students "no" if I ever need to (i.e. if they want to turn in an assignment late).  None of them had ever heard the phrase before, which didn't surprise me too much since it is not really used anymore colloquially.  All languages have these phrases or words that were used widely at one time but fall out of favor later, but we generally still know what they mean.  In ESL classes, we try to focus on language that is used currently as that is what students will be encountering.  Trying to teach them older phrases only confuses them.  I made an exception this time, though, since "dream on" is actually one of those phrases I use somewhat regularly.

Anyway, tomorrow will be better right?!

(Dream on.  :b)

No comments:

Post a Comment