Thursday, February 19, 2015

Red velvet splendor

I play this App called "Bakery Story" on my iPhone.  Basically, as you can probably guess, you design and manage your own bakery.  Not too long ago, a new recipe was added to the game called "Red Velvet Cocoa."  When I saw that, I thought, "That sounds amazing!"  I decided to look online for a recipe.  It was more difficult than I thought it would be to find one, but at last, I did find one: http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/12/red-velvet-hot-chocolate.html.

What made this recipe different was that it called for red velvet cake powder.  Other recipes simply called for red food coloring.  Red velvet is chocolate, yes, but it definitely has a distinct taste from other chocolate, so I knew just coloring it red would not give me the result I wanted.

My cat behind the ingredients.  >^___^<  These four ingredients were the only things needed!

...and I screwed it up almost immediately!  I was supposed to let the chocolate chips and sugar melt in the milk first BEFORE adding the cake mix.  I put them all in at the same time.  D'oh!

It seemed to be okay, though.  Certainly red!

Still looks okay!

And what better way to enjoy hot chocolate than with a dessert?  In this case, I had some leftover Boston Creme cake.
Even with my screw-up, it still turned out good.  In fact, I doubt it made too much of a difference.  It unfortunately was not as delicious as I hoped it would be, but it was certainly worth a try.  I don't know if I would bother to make it again.  I think I prefer just normal cocoa.  Definitely not just hot chocolate with red food coloring.  It has a completely different taste, and a good one.

I'll probably use the rest of the cake mix to make cupcakes or something.  :D


No comments:

Post a Comment