Sunday, March 8, 2015

It's time to save daylight...I guess?

Last night, I grudgingly set my alarm clock forward one hour, and then my cat insisted on making a racket early this morning for like two hours and would not stop no matter how much I yelled at her.  I was so tired this morning, ended up having to take a nap in the afternoon while watching The Simpsons on T.V..  x(

I'm actually not used to the whole daylight saving thing.  I've spent most of my life in places that don't observe it (fourteen years in Arizona and four years in Japan), and when I did observe it (for four years in Missouri and one year in Minnesota), I was too young to notice.

Living in Utah the past couple years has been really annoying, to be honest.  I just DON'T.  GET.  IT.  The people who like it rave about having so much light at night, but hello?  It's called NIGHT.  It's supposed to be dark.  I don't like having sunlight at nine thirty at night.  I would much rather have light in the morning which is when I am actually trying to wake myself up and get ready, which is a lot harder to do when it's dark.  It was finally starting to get light at a good time, and now I have to wait another couple weeks before the light in the morning is good again.

And yes, I do get home pretty late in the evening, so I know what it's like to drive home in the dark.  I also don't enjoy getting up early in the morning and avoid it when I can, so it's not like I'm against it because I'm an early bird.  I just recognize that the amount of light at any time doesn't really matter.  It's going to disappear at some time just like it does every night, so why bother changing the time to try to hang onto it somehow?

And really, if people are so obsessed with having more light at night, then just permanently change the time to DST.  I don't care what time it is as long as I can stop changing my clocks.

Anyway, I think this YouTube video summarizes the annoyances of DST pretty well:

No comments:

Post a Comment