Monday, March 9, 2015

The joys of revising a thesis

My thesis technically wasn't finished before my defense.  See, I decided to change my research topic less than a year, so the past seven to eight months have been a hectic whirlwind of writing a new introduction, literature review, methodology, and then adding results and discussion.

So, it was not at all a surprise when I was told I had to make revisions before I could graduate because I had already discussed this with my chair, and in fact, I had been working on the revisions even before my defense.

Having a committee, though, is really stressful.  Everyone has different ideas of what should be included, and it can be conflicting at times.  I just spent a good two to three hours finishing up more revisions, and I already know that there is still a lot more work to do.

Onegai, onegai...just let my revisions be enough to graduate.  We can work on publication later.  I just want my degree!  I know that all of this required work proves how prestigious my MA will be in the end, but I still wish it was easier.

Admittedly, my thesis is pretty terrible.  I can't say I am pleased with it.  I enjoyed my original topic a lot more, but it proved too difficult and time-consuming for an MA thesis.  My present topic is okay and yielded some interesting results, but I can't say I love it.  Even the writing is not my best.  It was difficult to explain at times.

And now...memes!


No comments:

Post a Comment