Thursday, April 2, 2015

An award of some kind

Tuesday evening, our department had an awards banquet.  It's not really a big deal.  The graduates in our department (Linguistics and TESOL) just win awards for various things.  Both BA and MA students are included.  In the MA category, there were two main awards: the Highest GPA Award and the Outstanding Thesis Award.  I knew I probably wouldn't get the Outstanding Thesis Award since mine was very rushed, plus I didn't particularly love it.  I did, however, know I was going to get the Highest GPA Award...


...because unless someone managed to get a 4.0, 3.97 is pretty hard to beat.  :b  But actually, I'm annoyed that I didn't know from the beginning that my university only gave 4 points for a solid A and a lower score for an A-.  My very first semester, I struggled a little in my syntax class (drawing those trees is a real pain, and it's very easy to make mistakes), but I was so pleased when I managed to get above a 90%.  However, I soon found that that equated to an A- which destroyed my hope of getting a 4.0 GPA for my MA degree right off the bat.  Needless to say, I was not happy.  I didn't stop trying in the rest of my classes, though, and I am pleased to say that that one A- was indeed my only A-.  I got solid As in the rest of my classes.  ^^

So, yes, I am very happy that I was still able to win this award.  I don't really know what to do with it, especially since it shows only my middle initial and not my full middle name (it looks SO UGLY to me that way), but I am quite pleased.  I think I actually surprised my colleagues with this win.  Maybe I don't come off as a straight A student?  That might be true.  I can appear to be very laid back and not very serious with my ironic and candid sense of humor.  I'm also well-known for taking shortcuts with my work and doing as little as possible with maximum results.  I could totally see someone thinking I couldn't possibly be a straight A student.  :b

So good to finally be done with my degree.  All I need now is my piece of paper.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment