Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Wednesday holiday: April Fools'!

 

Yup, April Fools' Day was today.  To be honest, AFD is one of those holidays I don't really care for.  I love all other holidays, even the silly ones like Groundhog Day, but AFD is not my favorite.  I just don't enjoy pranking people, and I don't like getting pranked myself, especially since I almost never fall for the pranks, but I have to pretend like I do so that I don't make the pranker feel bad.  It's mostly a day of annoyances for me.  I know, I know, that makes me sound like no fun, but I can only take so much foolishness, and AFD just takes it a bit far.

That said, yes, I did get "pranked" a couple times today, and I put that in quotation marks because I didn't actually fall for any of them necessarily although they did surprise me, but I tried my best to be a good sport.  I had no idea our school was so into this day, especially since most everyone is from countries where it is not recognized.  Seriously, pranks were going on everywhere at all times.  It was somewhat astounding.  I did not play any jokes on my students because, again, I'm not into pranks as they take a lot of work and often fall short on AFD because everyone is expecting them.  I think many of the teachers played jokes on their students.  A fellow teacher who seemed to be in it the most was from New Zealand, and boy, she really tried hard with her pranks!  She's a really great person, always making people laugh and full of great ideas.  I wish I had her energy because I just didn't feel like I had time to think of a good prank.  :b

As for pranks on me, they were of course done by my students.  The first prank was a little strange because all of my students were about five minutes late EXCEPT one.  I wasn't sure whether to feel bad for him or not because it appeared that they did not include him in their prank, and he does seem to have trouble fitting in with the rest of the group.  So, because he was in class, I was actually not one hundred percent sure if it was an intentional prank or not because surely he would've joined them, right?  I had a thought that maybe they had forgotten that we were supposed to meet in class and not in the computer lab, but deep down, I knew it was a prank.  I didn't want to say that to the one student there, though, because I didn't want to make him uncomfortable that he had not been included.  At last, my students finally arrived, and we all had a good laugh, and I decided out of the goodness of my heart to not count them late.

The second prank was definitely a surprise because I thought that was it.  After finishing our vocabulary practice, I was just about to start our short lesson before heading to the lab when the saxophone solo from "Careless Whisper" by George Michael started playing.  At first, I thought it was just someone's phone going off, but then one of the students presented me with a ring and got down on his knee and...to be honest, I don't know exactly what he asked.  It started off like a marriage proposal but kind of turned into a prom proposal (our school's prom is next Friday).  I of course wasn't fooled, but I still had no idea what to do or say.  It was quite uncomfortable.  :b  I said something like not being allowed to date students, but that I would certainly see him there, and then I took the ring and put it on my middle finger, which was the only finger it fit.  It was too big for my ring finger.  I gave it back, though, because he said it wasn't his.  :b  A very silly prank, but I guess it was cute.  Afterwards, though, I was in no mood to teach anything, so I just decided to let everyone go to the lab to work on their essays for the rest of class.

There was a third prank which I wish had reacted to more, but I didn't quite know what was going to happen.  A couple students I did not know approached me after the final bell and asked me to view this Korean comic called "Bongcheon-Dong Ghost."  You can read it in English here.  It required scrolling, lots of scrolling, and I knew something was going to happen, something freaky, but when it did happen, it definitely was jarring, but I didn't have a big reaction, and they seemed disappointed.  I was prepared for something to jump out at me, I suppose, so when it happened, I was only mildly disturbed and surprised.  Don't get me wrong, though.  It's freaky!  And I assured them that it did freak me out.

My New Zealand colleague pretended to have allergies, and every time she sneezed, she would spray water on someone.  She actually did a really good job keeping the spray bottle concealed.  Many students definitely fell for it, some even going to the bathroom to clean themselves up, haha.

Anyway, this was probably the most eventful AFD I've ever had in my entire life.  It was definitely fun, but I am so glad it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment